Originally published by DodgerBlue.com
Gavin Lux reported to Los Angeles Dodgers Summer Camp and cleared to participate in workouts at Dodger Stadium. Lux initially was scheduled to play in Friday’s intrasquad game but will first be given an opportunity to acclimate himself.
Like with Tony Gonsolin joining the club in the middle of the week, Dodgers manager Dave Roberts still was not at liberty to disclose what caused Lux’s absence. Lux returned to Wisconsin during the MLB hiatus and in various interviews said he was making due with limited resources to keep active.
After making his MLB debut last season, the 22-year-old is expected to be the Dodgers’ primary starter at second base this year. Though, Lux did spend much of what wound up being the final Spring Training games in March as the team’s designated hitter.
He previously dealt with throwing issues but largely corrected those before the start of camp. “I’m just happy to go out and get at-bats,” he said in March.
“I feel comfortable on defense, wherever it is in the middle of the field. It’s not a concern for me. I feel good at second and shortstop, and I’m a lot better than where I was last year. I don’t think it’s an area of concern for me.
“I don’t really know why the DH or what the reasoning is. Like I said, I think the most important thing for me right now is to get at-bats, get my timing and making sure I’m locked in. I think that’s the biggest thing right now.”
Lux finished the spring batting .276/.323/.345 with one triple and one RBI in 11 Cactus League games.
Dodgers Summer Camp absences
The Dodgers still are awaiting the arrivals of Scott Alexander, Pedro Baez, Kenley Jansen, AJ Pollock and Keibert Ruiz. Roberts spoke with Jansen on Thursday and said the Dodgers closer is in “really good spirits and feeling good.”
Roberts reiterated he anticipates Jansen reporting to Summer Camp in the near future.
Dodgers add to player pool
Along with welcoming Lux back into the fold, the Dodgers added Michael Busch, Anthony Garcia, Landon Knack, Bobby Miller, Ryan Pepiot, Edubray Ramos and Carson Taylor to their 60-man player pool.
Knack, Miller and Taylor are selections from the 2020 MLB Draft.
Have you subscribed to our YouTube channel? It’s the best way to watch player interviews, exclusive coverage from events, participate in our shows, and more!