Originally published by DodgerBlue.com
The Los Angeles Dodgers are still without Trevor Bauer as he remains on MLB’s administrative leave list while the league investigates sexual assault allegations.
Bauer’s initial leave began last July and wound up being periodically extended through the conclusion of the 2021 World Series. He has since avoided criminal charges but could still be in line for a lengthy suspension from MLB commissioner Rob Manfred.
The 31-year-old opted into the second year of his contract with the Dodgers this past offseason, but at the start of Spring Training, MLB placed Bauer on administrative leave through April 16.
Now with that deadline approaching in a matter of days, the league and Players Association (MLBPA) have agreed to extend it until April 22 as they continue to investigate the matter, according to Jon Heyman of MLB Network:
Per a league source, MLB and the MLBPA have agreed to extend Trevor Bauer’s administrative leave through Friday, April 22
— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) April 13, 2022
Previously, Bauer’s accuser filed a restraining order against him, but that request was denied as a judge ruled he was not a future threat to the woman. The Pasadena Police Department also completed their investigation and turned their findings over to the L.A. County District Attorney’s, which declined to pursue criminal charges against Bauer.
Since then, Bauer filed a subpoena with the Pasadena Police Department in an attempt to reveal the accuser’s cell phone records. However, the woman’s attorneys said Bauer has not been given approval from the court to serve that subpoena.
The accuser then asked the judge to reject the subpoena request, claiming that Bauer’s harassing and retaliation must stop. Their request was granted by a judge on April 4 after a hearing.
The Dodgers have declined to comment until MLB issues their ruling.
Bauer is said to be cooperating with the league during their investigation, but it’s unclear if he’s been interviewed by MLB officials.
Under MLB’s joint domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse policy, commissioner Rob Manfred can levy any suspension regardless of whether criminal charges were filed or not. Some have speculated such a punishment for Bauer could be up for a full season.
Potential Bauer suspension won’t be retroactive
The 31-year-old’s initial leave began last July and wound up being periodically extended through the conclusion of the 2021 World Series.
There is speculation that any suspension from MLB will not be counted as time served and result in Bauer missing games during the 2022 season.
Have you subscribed to the Dodger Blue YouTube channel? Be sure to ring the notification bell to watch player interviews, participate in shows and giveaways, and stay up to date on all Dodgers news and rumors!