Originally published by DodgerBlue.com
Trevor Bauer’s first season with the Los Angeles Dodgers was cut short due to an investigation into alleged sexual assault that resulted in being placed on administrative leave by MLB. He was limited to 17 starts and did not pitch again after June 28.
The Pasadena Police Department conducted a lengthy investigation and turned over their findings to the L.A. County District Attorney’s office last August, who then announced earlier this month that Bauer would not face criminal charges.
However, the 31-year-old could still face civil charges and MLB commissioner Rob Manfred holds the authority to suspend him. Some have speculated such a punishment could be up for a full season.
While the expectation remains that Manfred will eventually suspend Bauer, he likely won’t levy one until the MLB lockout has passed and a new collective bargaining agreement (CBA) is in place, via Bill Shaikin and Richard Winton of the L.A. Times:
It is unlikely that Manfred would impose a suspension so long as owners continue to lock out players, as they have since Dec. 2 after the expiration of MLB’s collective bargaining agreement.
Although he is unlikely to suspend Bauer during the ongoing lockout, Manfred reportedly plans to ask the 2020 National League Cy Young Award winner to meet with MLB’s team of investigators as required under league policy.
The investigation into Bauer by MLB remains ongoing and any potential punishment will almost certainly be appealed. In a statement, MLB said they will “comment further at an appropriate time.”
The Dodgers also declined to address the matter. “MLB is continuing their investigation,” they said in a statement. “We will have no further comment until it concludes.”
Bauer reportedly ‘unlikely’ to rejoin Dodgers
Prior to MLB team owners imposing a lockout at the beginning of December, Bauer exercised a $32 million player option for the 2022 season.
Although he remains under contract, the right-hander reportedly is unlikely to ever pitch again for the Dodgers. If he remains with the team, Bauer has another $32 million option for 2023 and would receive a $15 million buyout by declining it.
Have you subscribed to the Dodger Blue YouTube channel? Be sure to ring the notification bell to watch player interviews, participate in shows and giveaways, and stay up to date on all Dodgers news and rumors!