Originally published by DodgerBlue.com
For the first time since 2017, the Los Angeles Dodgers won’t have a starter in the annual MLB All-Star Game. Despite this, the club saw Mookie Betts, Max Muncy and Chris Taylor selected as reserves for the National League roster.
While each of those players are deserving of their selection, the Dodgers curiously did not have a single pitcher selected to this year’s Midsummer Classic.
Walker Buehler and Clayton Kershaw both made a strong case for representing the Dodgers at Coors Field while Trevor Bauer presumably would have been selected as well if not for the current investigation into alleged sexual assault.
As for the bullpen, Kenley Jansen was among the most inexplicable snubs in the entire league. He easily has been one of baseball’s best relievers this season behind improved velocity and movement on his pitches, which he previously attributed to a new workout program he began this past offseason.
Jansen revealed that he initially was stunned to not make the NL roster but now is making light of the situation, per Bill Plunkett of the Southern California News Group:
When he got the news Sunday that he hadn’t been named to the National League All-Star team, Dodgers closer Kenley Jansen said he was “shocked.”
“Insulted. To me — honestly,” Jansen said Monday, still stung by the omission. “Listen, I went through a lot of disappointment (over it), but at the end, I was laughing more about it. I guess you have to put up a 0.00 ERA with zero blown saves for me — for me — to get that recognition. Especially me doing this for a long time.”
Had Jansen earned a spot in the All-Star Game, it would have been his fourth career selection. He previously participated in the event during the 2016-18 seasons.
Although he likely won’t be making the trip to Colorado next week, Jansen can still be proud of the success he has enjoyed this season. In 34 games, the 33-year-old has converted 21-of-23 save opportunities while pitching to a 1.30 ERA, 3.13 FIP and 0.98 WHIP with 40 strikeouts over 34.2 innings.
Muncy: ‘A lot of country’ voted against Dodgers for 2021 All-Star Game starters
When the Dodgers were shut out in fan voting for starters, Max Muncy felt the team did not receive enough support from the rest of the country. “It is what it is. Fans didn’t feel I deserved a spot, so that’s really all it was,” Muncy said.
“I know Dodger fans were out there doing their best. Unfortunately it’s a lot of the country against us, but thank you to all the Dodger fans that did vote. Not just for me but all of us. We really appreciated it. It was unfortunate but we really did appreciate everyone that got out there to vote.”
Have you subscribed to the Dodger Blue YouTube channel? Be sure to ring the notification bell to watch player interviews, participate in shows and giveaways, and more!