Rawlings announced all 2019 Gold Glove Award finalists, with 54 players split evenly between the American League and National League and by threes at each position. The St. Louis Cardinals lead all teams with six finalists, while the Oakland Athletics had an AL-best five.
The 2019 Gold Glove Award finalists include 11 previous winners in the AL and seven in the NL.
“This year’s group of finalists is comprised of some of the bright young stars of today and a mix of elite veterans,” said Mike Thompson, chief marketing officer for Rawlings Sporting Goods. “The Rawlings Gold Glove Award truly exemplifies The Finest in the Field.”
That the Cardinals lead all teams in finalists is hardly a surprise. They committed the fewest errors this season and ranked third in overall defensive value. The Athletics led in that category and were followed by the Arizona Diamondbacks.
The Los Angeles Dodgers are represented by Cody Bellinger, who figures to be a lock in right field. Bellinger is the Dodgers’ first finalist since Yasiel Puig lost to the Chicago Cubs’ Jason Heyward in 2017.
The Rawlings Gold Glove Award originated in 1957, but it wasn’t until 2011 that three players earned recognition at each position. Since then, only Kansas City left fielder Alex Gordon and Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina have been finalists each year.
The Rawlings Gold Glove Award represents overall fielding excellence, and it is not an award based solely on fielding metrics and statistics, nor does it factor offensive production.
Every MLB manager and up to six members of his coaching staff are permitted to vote, though they are not allowed to do so for their own players. The coach/manager votes account for 75 percent of the formula, and the SABR Defensive Index make up the remaining 25 percent.
Once the Rawlings Gold Glove Award winners are announced on Nov. 3, fans can vote for their favorite defensive player in each League to determine who will be named the Rawlings Platinum Glove Award winners.
Voting for the Rawlings Platinum Glove Award begins online at www.Rawlings.com on Sunday, Nov. 3, at 5 p.m. PT and will remain open until Thursday, Nov. 7, at 8:59 p.m. PT.
The Platinum Glove Award winners will be unveiled during the 2019 Rawlings Gold Glove Award Ceremony on Friday, Nov. 8.
American League finalists
Jose Berrios, Minnesota Twins
Lucas Giolito, Chicago White Sox
Mike Leake, Seattle Mariners/Arizona Diamondbacks
Danny Jansen, Toronto Blue Jays
Roberto Perez, Cleveland Indians
Christian Vazquez, Boston Red Sox
Yuli Gurriel, Houston Astros
Matt Olson, Oakland Athletics
Justin Smoak, Toronto Blue Jays
Jose Altuve, Houston Astros
DJ LeMahieu, New York Yankees
Yolmer Sanchez, Chicago White Sox
Alex Bregman, Houston Astros
Matt Chapman, Oakland Athletics
David Fletcher, Los Angeles Angels
Francisco Lindor, Cleveland Indians
Marcus Semien, Oakland Athletics
Andrelton Simmons, Los Angeles Angels
Andrew Benintendi, Boston Red Sox
Alex Gordon, Kansas City Royals
Robbie Grossman, Oakland Athletics
Jackie Bradley Jr., Boston Red Sox
Kevin Kiermaier, Tampa Bay Rays
Mike Trout, Los Angeles Angels
Mookie Betts, Boston Red Sox
Kole Calhoun, Los Angeles Angels
Josh Reddick, Houston Astros
Jack Flaherty, St. Louis Cardinals
Zack Greinke, Arizona Diamondbacks/Houston Astros
Aaron Nola, Philadelphia Phillies
Austin Hedges, San Diego Padres
Yadier Molina, St. Louis Cardinals
J.T. Realmuto, Philadelphia Phillies
Paul Goldschmidt, St. Louis Cardinals
Anthony Rizzo, Chicago Cubs
Christian Walker, Diamondbacks
Ozzie Albies, Atlanta Braves
Adam Frazier, Pittsburgh Pirates
Kolten Wong, St. Louis Cardinals
Nolan Arenado, Colorado Rockies
Josh Donaldson, Atlanta Braves
Anthony Rendon, Washington Nationals
Nick Ahmed, Arizona Diamondbacks
Paul DeJong, St. Louis Cardinals
Trevor Story, Colorado Rockies
David Peralta, Arizona Diamondbacks
Hunter Renfroe, San Diego Padres
Juan Soto, Washington Nationals
Harrison Bader, St. Louis Cardinals
Lorenzo Cain, Milwaukee Brewers
Victor Robles, Washington Nationals
Cody Bellinger, Los Angeles Dodgers
Bryce Harper, Philadelphia Phillies
Jason Heyward, Chicago Cubs